Sunday, May 20, 2007

don't you DRM me RIAA, stick it in your ASCAP

My disclaimer... I am a member of ASCAP. I have registered one song and have collected no royalties. ASCAP has not always been a friend to the independent musician. that said...

I am vehemently opposed to the record industry's business model that
refuses to embrace and maximize the power of the internet. I love music. I love to listen to music. everywhere. my iPod(s). my fm radio. my satellite radio. on "bumpers" coming back to a live Cubs' broadcast on WGN. on Napster (circa 2001). on podcasts. on Internet radio. and, guess what RIAA, even though I listen to music on all those free and fee-based services, I buy music. a lot of it. on iTunes. from Laurie's Planet of Sound in Chicago. from Vintage Vinyl in St. Louis. from eMusic.com. from bands at shows. from Virgin Records. from amazon.com. from Borders. from the BM freaking G Music Club.

Internet Radio is facing an untimely demise. I don't know why anyone who is in the business of selling music would want to do anything to dissuade that music from reaching the people who buy music.

I've decided to list the songs I hear on internet radio and then purchased beginning in January 2006 (the year retroactive rates would apply according to the DIGITAL PERFORMANCE RIGHT IN SOUND RECORDINGS AND EPHEMERAL RECORDINGS Docket No. 2005-1 CRB DTRA of the UNITED STATES COPYRIGHT ROYALTY JUDGES). As you'll see... many of these artists cannot be heard on terrestrial radio or tv.

Join me. grow this list. post your music. show the reach of internet radio.
  1. "Am I Wry, No" Mew (Sony BMG)
  2. "Exeter, RI" Jennifer O'Connor (Matador)
  3. "Piano Song" Heartless Bastards (Fat Possum)
  4. "The Overly Dramatic Truth" El-P (definitive jux)
  5. "Backstabber" Dresden Dolls (Eight Foot Records)
  6. "Birdwatcher" Malcolm Middleton (Full Time Hobby)
  7. "CT Catholic" Rainer Maria (Polyvinyl Records)
  8. "Wasted" LP (Light Switch Records/Musicrama)
  9. "Worn Me Down" Rachel Yamagata (RCA Victor Group)
  10. and on an on...

No comments: